iManage | Is it time for your Firm to perform an IDOL Indexer sizing exercise?
As your Firm grows and the documents in your iManage Databases increase, the IDOL Servers and Content Engines you originally deployed could be surpassing the iManage recommended Thresholds. This is cost free exercise that will ensure your IDOL resources are performing optimally now and in the near future.
The IDOL sizing exercise is something in which iManage Support asks you to complete a questionnaire to supply information about your iManage Environment such as the number, size, and location of your iManage Work libraries, the average document size, and hardware specifications. Based on your answers, iManage can then provide recommendations for architecture and Server resources for your IDOL environment. Their recommendations may require you to add Content Engines or Servers depending on their finding. Along with these findings Adaptive Solutions can also perform an IDOL heath check and assist with making sure IDOL Maintenance and Backups are running properly.
You should consider this sizing exercise if any of the following apply:
- You never completed a sizing exercise.
- You completed your last sizing exercise over two years ago.
- Growth in iManage Work libraries exceeds the estimates from the previously provided sizing recommendations.
- You have exceeded the projected growth rate listed in your last sizing by more than 10%. An example would be you recently on-boarded a department to iManage or acquired another firm that now uses iManage.
- The following apply to your WorkSite Content Engines:
- A WorkSite Content Engine reports a documents value exceeding 4 million.
- Disk space usage exceeds 250GB.
- Less than 30% disk space is available to a WorkSite Content Engine drives.
Obtaining the documents and committed_documents values for a WorkSite Content Engine
Use the Index Browser utility to check the document count for each WorkSite Content Engine. By default, the Index Browser resides in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Autonomy\Indexer Browser\IndexerBrowser.bat
Perform the following steps for each WorkSite Content Engine:
- Run bat.
- Specify the machine name or IP address of the server that hosts the content engine.
- Specify the port of the content engine. Content engine port numbers start at 11000 for content engine 1 and increment by 1000 for each additional content engine.
- Click Connect.
- Note the documents and committed_documents
NOTE: If you find a disparity of 20% or more between committed_documents and documents, consider running a compaction. Adaptive Solutions can help with this.