iManage Work 10.1 "Unboxing"
On Monday, December 11th, iManage debuted the long awaited release of iManage Work 10.1. Building on the newly designed architecture of the 10.0 platform, Work 10.1 finally brings a viable client alternative to the traditional Desksite and Filesite installations, as well as multiple bug fixes and backend management enhancements.
10.1 Clients – spoiled for choices
Work 10.1 is the first time a tight client integration is available via a web interface. iManage has also taken this opportunity to rename this access method from the “Professional” interface to “iManage Web” Those of you who love a good installer iManage has ticked your boxes with the release of a new ”Work Desktop Client”. This client provides users with a direct interface with web directly from Outlook. This client is both much lighter weight and significantly faster than the traditional FileSite client. Backward compatibility has also been addressed with the ability to run the new client alongside the existing Desksite/FileSite client. As with any new release, expect a few minor patches in the first few weeks. This release, however, is more than robust and full featured enough to safely replace the existing Desksite and Filesite clients. iManage has also announced a client for Mac OS, a popular request among our Corporate Legal clients.
A Quick Review Of What’s New
- The Work 10.1 Desktop client has souped up its functionality with the ability to:
- File to multiple locations with Send and File.
- Restoration of documents from a point in time using journaling
- Creating document relations
- Declaring/undeclaring records
- Complex search query creation within the Web client.
- Retaining of the suggested locations database upon upgrade
- An enhanced Control Center experience – including:
- Generation of a hidden custom alias to manage workspace creation
- Restriction of the custom values that can be used for Ad-Hoc workspace creation
- Creation of additional tabs in Work Web based on custom metadata fields.
- Customize the web client filters and views as well as right click views, directly in Control Center.
What was not included in the latest release?
- The new Work 10 client will only integrate with Microsoft Office 2013 or later.
- Work 10 will only support a 64bit OS. This applies at both Workstation and Server
- Work 10 requires a separate Preview server database. This is included in the Work 10 database schema.
- Upgrade to Work Mobility – the release is set for January 2018
- Per File Encryption – the release is set for January 2018
A few tips on upgrading a Work 10 installation
- The new Work 10.1 installation splits out the Work 10 Web Client, as well as Mobility. This permits a cleaner installation on multiple servers, especially if the desire is to separate web servers from a Work 10 server.
- A schema upgrade to 10.1 is required. Going from Work 10 to 10.1 is a simple process. An upgrade from the 9.x schema requires a higher degree of testing.
- Although many vendors are writing new integration with the RestAPI, most have not released a Work 10 integration yet. Several vendors, such as Workshare, DocsCorp and others are leading the way. This may be a compelling reason to remain on Desksite/Filesite for at least the first half of the new year.
- More to come as we find them…..
We have already done several Work 10 installs here at Adaptive Solutions and are working hard to keep up to speed on the latest releases. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-489-9872.